NEW YEAR NEW ME? Okay so, this slogan might be cheesy and over-hash-tagged but it is undeniable that the start of a new year is filled with 365 opportunities for change, growth and new pursuits…
Lose weight. Be a better person. Pay off credit card debt. Help the homeless. Make more money. All of these are resolutions and goals that you have heard time and time again and maybe even pledged at one time or another. Or, maybe you are one of those people who makes a resolution every year simply because you know people will ask you about it.
Regardless, it is the intention of setting the resolution that you should not lose sight of. And hey, wouldn’t you rather take the risk and see how far you get as opposed to not making a resolution at all?
So you didn’t hit the gym as often as you wanted to last year. Or you still have a ways to go with clearing your debt. Maybe your gung-ho inspiration to help the homeless fizzled out by last summer. It doesn’t matter because that was so 2016 and this year, the world is your oyster.
5 Reasons Why You Should Make a NY Resolution (and Try and Stick to It):
- Successful people make moves and set goals. So why wouldn’t you want to work towards becoming a better version of yourself in 2017? According to a study done by Gail Matthews at Dominican University, people who wrote down their goals accomplished significantly more than those who did not write down their goals.
- A new year means a fresh start. Maybe last year didn’t go quite how you planned. With the dawn of a new year comes the ability to change your outlook and circumstances and do things differently for the next 365 days. Don’t let last year’s letdowns distract you, let them motivate and empower you.
- Success begins in the mind. Have you made a New Year’s resolution yet? If yes, than you are already on the track to success. Try mentally visualizing yourself succeeding at your resolution.
- Resolutions are inherently positive. You have the power to make change happen in your own life and impact the lives of those around you. Positive thinkers are savvy and never settle. Positivity inspires and attracts positivity (think Law of Attraction.) You can attract into your life what you are focusing on.
- Growth is good. Mental, physical, emotional, spiritual growth. Growth means progress. Growth challenges you and pushes you outside of your comfort zone. Growth attracts growth. If you are not growing than you are stagnant and nobody wants to be the same old same old year after year!
Ultimately, if you fail to plan than you plan to fail. Write down some resolutions if you have not done so already and begin creating the life you want.
In the spirit of resolutions, here are mine for 2017:
- Read more books – First up? Whole by T. Colin Campbell.
- Get better at yoga – salamba sirsasana here I come!
- Save 5k by December 31st – That’s only $200 put aside each paycheck.
- Give back at least once a month – This can be in the form of volunteering, donating, beach clean-up, charity..
- Keep recycling, reusing and re-purposing– Can’t wait to repurpose my growing collection of glass mason jars and wine bottles!